When to Enroll in Medicare
- If you are retired,the best time to enroll in Medicare Part B is 3 months before you turn 65.
- If you are working, the best time to enroll in Medicare Part B is as soon as you know the date that you are going to retire (if your company employs over 20 employees and provides your health insurance).
- The best time for you to enroll in a Medicare Supplement plan is when you first turn age 65, or leave employer group coverage (after age 65).
- October 15 – December 7th of every year (for a Medicare Advantage and/or Part D plan).
- Enrollment restrictions and late penalties may apply.
- Special circumstances may warrant an enrollment window (ie:moving,retiring, gaining Medicaid).
Important Health Insurance Marketplace dates
You can generally buy Marketplace health insurance only during the annual Open Enrollment period. Upcoming dates to know:
- March 31, 2015: 2015 Open Enrollment ends
- November 1, 2016: Proposed date for 2017 Open Enrollment to start
- January 31, 2017: Proposed date for 2017 Open Enrollment to end
To buy Marketplace insurance outside Open Enrollment, you must qualify for a special enrollment period due to a qualifying life event such as marriage, divorce, birth or adoption of a child, or loss of a job.