I am Eligible for Medicare, What Do I Do?
Contact the Benefits Administrator at you and/or your spouse’s current and/or former employer
- Find out if you need Part B of Medicare
- Will you have a health plan available to you from your current or former employer?
- How will enrolling in Medicare coordinate with that coverage?
- What about dependents that are covered under your current plan?
- When and how should you cancel your current insurance to coordinate with Medicare?
- Enroll in Medicare Part B (best time is three months before you turn 65) -You can enroll at social security, online, by telephone or in person.
- Find an agent that specializes in Medicare Options and represents multiple health plans to assist you in understanding how Medicare works & your options.
- Read the “Medicare and You,” publication from Medicare (available online or by calling Medicare).
- Learn the difference between a Medicare Supplement and Medicare Advantage plan.
- Learn what is NOT covered by Medicare.
- Understand how Medicare Part D works.
- Plan for handling costs that are above and beyond what your health plan covers.