Extra Help with your Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug Plan
If you are signed up for a Med Adv plan that includes drug coverage, you may be eligible for extra help with your medications, based on your income. The Medicare Extra Help program is also referred to as the Low-Income Subsidy program (LIS). The program is for people who qualify for full Medicaid and those who are not on full Medicaid but have limited income.
The total premium for a Medicare Advantage plan with prescription drug coverage has 2 parts:
- Health Medical premium
- Prescription drug premium
For example, if a plan is $45 per month:
- $20 is the Health Medical premium
- $25 is the prescription drug premium
Anyone qualifying for Extra Help would get assistance to offset the $25 prescription drug premium including low-to-no medication copays and no drug deductible to meet.
There are three ways to apply for Extra Help. Our Independent Advisors can assist you with applying to determine if you qualify.
- Apply online at ssa.gov/extrahelp
- Call Social Security to apply over the phone or request an application, form SSA-1020
- Apply at your local Social Security office. Social Security will review your application and upon approval, you can pick a prescription drug plan.