When do I need to enroll in a Medicare Advantage Plan?
To enroll in a Medicare Advantage or PDP plan, you are required to have a valid election or enrollment period. These are separate and distinct from the Medigap open enrollment period. These election periods are outlined below.
Special enrollment periods apply:
- Still working when you turn 65 and are covered under a group plan.
- When employment or coverage ends, an eight-month period that begins the month after the employment ends or the coverage ends, whichever happens first.
- Volunteering in a foreign country.
- If you have TRICARE (insurance for military members and their families) or qualify for Medicare because of disability, ESRD, or ALS.
- If you were living overseas when you turned 65.